Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A medium-spiced lamb dish from Northern India.
- 1 1⁄2 kg lamb, cubed
- 1 tablespoon fennel powder
- 3 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt, whisked
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried ginger powder
- 3 2⁄3 cups water or 3 2⁄3 cups beef broth
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add cinnamon stick and cloves.
- After a second, add asafoetida, meat and salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir.
- Add yoghurt gradually. Stir till all the liquid evaporates and the meat turns brown in color.
- Add fennel and ginger powders. Stir.
- Add water or broth, cover partly and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Cover completely and cook on low heat for another 30 minutes or until the meat is tender. Stir the meat from time to time as it cooks.
- Uncover and add the garam masala powder. If the gravy is too thin, let it boil till it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Serve hot.
Thanks for this recipe. I used beef stock (I assume "broth" is american for stock) and althought I enjoyed it, it would have been far better just using water. I would also cut down on the paprika next time and perhaps add a bit more garam massala.