Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This chutney is very spicy - not sugary as most western chutneys. Kashmiri chilli powder is much milder than regular chilli powder so adjust that if you don't have it. Try and use a red onion if you don't have shallots.
- 2 cups shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup green chili, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green coriander, chopped (cilantro)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black cumin seeds (shahi zeera)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons kashmiri chili powder
- 1 cup vinegar
- Mix 1tbsp salt with the shallots and keep aside for a few minutes; Then wash and drain the water completely.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- This is best if made at least an hour before eating to allow the flavours to mingle.
I made a half recipe of this simple chutney to go with a fragrant (but not hot) curry we ate tonight. This was good, but I did use onions rather than shallots (very expensive here). I plan to try it with them one day soon to see the difference!