Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A naan stuffed with a sweet cashew, almond and cherry paste.
- 2 lbs about 6 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1⁄4 cup almonds
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, well drained
- Dough: Use a sturdy mixer or mix by hand.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and mix thoroughly; dough should be smooth and pliable, not sticky.
- Knead by machine or hand for several minutes into a pizza-like dough, place in a large bowl, cover, and set aside in a warm place for a few hours.
- Stuffing: use a meat grinder or food processor to process ingredients to a fine paste.
- To form Naan: Divide dough into 14 equal parts; using your hand or a rolling pin, roll a piece of the dough into a thin circle, approximately 6 inches in diameter.
- Place some of the stuffing in the center of the circle, then fold the edges of the dough up over the stuffing and pinch it together to enclose the stuffing; press with your hands to flatten the dough into a large 9-inch diameter circle.
- To cook: Preheat broiler in oven to the highest possible temperature.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over very high heat until very hot.
- Slap a circle of dough onto the skillet, then immediately place the skillet under the broiler; it will puff up.
- Cook for approximately 5 to 6 minutes, or until the dough has turned golden brown and is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, wrap in clean napkin and continue with the remaining pieces of dough.
- Serve hot.