Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "indian, 100 everyday recipes" by Love Food.
- 8 lamb chops
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, 1-inch piece
- 4 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- mixed salad green, for serving
- Trim chops of all visible fat.
- In a saucepan, bring enough water to cover chops to a boil; add lamb chops, return to a boil, and cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- Drain chops, rinse, and drain again; place chops in a non-stick saucepan, add remaining ingredients except garam masala and herbs, stir occasionally until milk begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 30 minutes, turning chops occasionally.
- Remove chops, strain liquid back into saucepan, and return chops; cook, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated and chops are browned, about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with garam masala, mint, and cilantro; serve with mixed salad greens.