- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seed (measure after removing from pods)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji seeds)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 cinnamon sticks (5cm pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 nutmeg, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a small, heavy-based frying pan over medium-hot heat.
- Separately dry roast each spice, except nutmeg, until each one starts to give out a beautiful, fragrant aroma. Remove from pan and leave to cool.
- Combine all roasted spices (not nutmeg) in a blender and grind to a fine powder.
- Add nutmeg and store in an airtight container.