Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Easy and delicious. Not heavy on the spices.
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 6 green cardamom pods, smashed lightly
- 907.18 g chicken pieces
- 118.29 ml yogurt
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2.46-4.92 ml red chili powder (to taste)
- 118.29 ml cashews, ground
- 29.58 ml sliced almonds
- 1. Saute onion in oil until lightly golden.
- 2. Add garlic and ginger and cook until all is light brown.
- 3. Add chicken and cardamom and cook 15-20 minutes over med-high heat.
- 4. Add yogurt, tomatores and red chile powder. Cook 20-30 minutes, stirring constantly, over med heat until chicken is cooked through. Remove cardamom pods.
- 5. Add ground cashews and cook 3 minutes.
- 6. Put in serving bowl and sprinkle with sliced almonds to serve.
We really enjoyed the end result but I did have some issues with the recipe as written. After step 2 I have golden onion, garlic and ginger. If I added the chicken at that point and continued cooking for 15 - 20 minutes I would have little burnt black bits of onions etc. so I removed them from the pan before putting the chicken in. I did put the cardamon in with the chicken and I won't do that again because they were burnt little pebbles that I fished out and replaced. Once the meat and onions etc were once again combined I added about a 1/2 cup of broth and then a titch more as the sauce was cooking down to a paste. The taste was worth the effort but I would definitely make the same changes again. Thanks for posting! Made for The bistro Babes ZWT 8
This was really flavorful and rich tasting for only 350 calories (I still used fat free yogurt). The spices used in small amounts give a well rounded flavor profile with the heat so often present in Indian cuisine. Being simply made in one pan is another plus. I do have to say that I needed to add some liquid, chicken broth is what I chose, shortly after putting the yogurt in. Perhaps it was the thick yogurt that I use but there was no way that it was going to cook for 20 mins without being burnt to a cinder. By the time the 20 mins was up it had all cooked down to great sauce. Made for ZWT 8.