madam x's Note:
This is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken. It comes from "Complete Indian Cooking", a cookbook I received as a gift for my wedding. The addition of plain yogurt toward the end of the cooking time gives this a deliciously mild and creamy flavor, which makes a wonderful contrast to all the spices. This is best eaten with some good basmati rice, but plain jasmine rice works too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, finely sliced
- 10 peppercorns
- 10 cardamoms
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 inches fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces (I like boneless, skinless thighs)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a deep, lidded skillet.
- 2Add the onions, peppercorns, cardamoms, and cinnamon and cook until the onions are golden.
- 3Add the ginger, garlic, chili powder, paprika, and salt (to taste) and cook for 2 min, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the chicken pieces and fry until browned.
- 5Gradually add the yogurt, stirring constantly.
- 6Cover and cook gently for about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kashmiri Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.2
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 96.1 mg
- Sodium 101.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: