Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted by request. This is a Persian, silky eggplant dip.
- 6 small eggplants
- 1 cup kashk (kashk is thick whey, and should be purchased at an Iranian/Persian store)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 medium onions
- 2 teaspoons dried mint or 200 g of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Peel eggplants and slice length-wise to a thickness of 1 cm.
- Add salt and pepper and fry eggplant on both sides on medium heat until golden.
- Add half a cup of hot water to tomato paste and mix well.
- Add to eggplants and cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Peel onions and slice thinly.
- Fry in oil until golden.
- Also fry dried mint in oil for a few minutes.
- Alternatively, fresh mint can be used.
- If so, wash and finely chop mint, then fry in oil.
- Pour kashk evenly over eggplants, follow with onions and mint.
- Mash ingredients together with a fork, then serve.
This is a great recipe much better than the one I buy at the Persian store which is way too greasy. At home you can make it a lot healthier.