Recipe by Barbell Bunny
This is one of my favorite Iranian foods! My grandma used to make it for me and I always have to order it when I go to an Iranian restaurant. If you do not wish to fry the eggplant, you can prepare it in the oven. Directions for this method are given at the end of the recipe. You can use any eggplant for this dish; however, Chinese eggplants resemble the taste of Persian eggplants. If you use Chinese eggplants, double the amount of eggplants stated in the recipe. Kashk can be found at most Middle Eastern supermarkets. Sour cream will suffice, but it definitely will not be the same!
- 3 large eggplants
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup kashk (Iranian whey)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and peel eggplants. Cut the eggplants in lengthwise slices.
- Dry eggplants with a paper towel and sprinkle them with salt.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry the onions until it starts to brown.
- Add the garlic. Continue to cook, frequently stirring until the onions and garlic become brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat oil in another frying pan and lay the slices of eggplant in the pan over medium heat. Fry on both sides.
- Add water, tomatoes, salt, pepper, turmeric, half the fried onions and garlic, and half the Kashk to the eggplant in the pan. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until tomato and eggplant become soft.
- Mash the contents in the pan with a fork.
- Add the walnuts and the remainder of the Kashk. Simmer a few minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and Kashk.
- Garnish with Kashk, the remainder of the onions and garlic, and mint.
- Serve with naan lavash, taftoon, pita bread, or pita chips.
- :::::Alternative Eggplant Cooking:::::.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Lay the sliced eggplant on the foil and spray each side with the cooking spray.
- Put under the broiler for 5 - 6 minutes, or until each side is browned and begins to fall apart.