Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, crushed*
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached white flour or 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated cane juice or 1⁄2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk or 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 2 egg whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Place Heart to Heart cereal in a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin until the cereal resembles coarse flour without any large chunks. To save time, you can place the cereal in a blender or food processor and pulse into coarse flour instead.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into lightly oiled muffin tins.
- For garnish, place three hearts from the Heart to Heart cereal on top of each muffin.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers of the muffins comes out clean, or about 20 minutes. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.