Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe at my weight loss meeting this week. Start the day off right with these moist, fat free, cholestrol free, high fiber muffins. These are 1 1/2 points per muffin.
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 414.03 ml Kashi Good Friends cereal or 414.03 ml Kashi Golean cereal
- 177.44 ml skim milk or 177.44 ml rice milk or 177.44 ml soymilk
- 59.14 ml honey
- 2 egg whites
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- cooking spray
- Spray muffin tin cups with cooking spray and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cereal and milk and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the honey and egg whites and beat well.
- Stir in apple sauce and banana.
- Add flour mixture and mix only until dry ingredients are moistened, over mixing will produce rubbery muffins.
- Fill sprayed muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
This is a great healthy muffin recipe. I did make a few changes which I thought made it taste even better! Instead of a banana I added a medium baked sweet potato. This made it super moist and gave it a autum like taste. I also added the shreded Autum Harvest Kashi Cereal instead of the Go Lean, agave nectar instead of honey, and coconut milk instead of cows milk. This made it dairy free, and lower glycemic, because sweet potatoes and agave nectar are lower glycemic then bananas and honey. Also I added some cinnamon but if you have pumpkin spice I'm sure that would be delicious! It was the perfect sweet snack to get me in the mood for fall! They also smelled really great baking! Hope someone tries the recipe!
These are awesome, I make them all the time and they satisfy my sweet tooth. They are also really healthy (1 point each if you follow Weight Watchers). Enjoy!
Well, I loved them... Getting my family to eat them was another thing though, but I guess that leaves more muffins for me! I thought they were delicious! I had to omit the banana, as I'm on a low-glycemic diet, but I found the muffins to be perfectly moist even without it. A wonderful recipe that I will "indulge" in quite often.