Recipe by nnreq
I got this recipe at my weight loss meeting this week. Start the day off right with these moist, fat free, cholestrol free, high fiber muffins. These are 1 1/2 points per muffin.
Top Review by Taranann
This is a great healthy muffin recipe. I did make a few changes which I thought made it taste even better! Instead of a banana I added a medium baked sweet potato. This made it super moist and gave it a autum like taste. I also added the shreded Autum Harvest Kashi Cereal instead of the Go Lean, agave nectar instead of honey, and coconut milk instead of cows milk. This made it dairy free, and lower glycemic, because sweet potatoes and agave nectar are lower glycemic then bananas and honey. Also I added some cinnamon but if you have pumpkin spice I'm sure that would be delicious! It was the perfect sweet snack to get me in the mood for fall! They also smelled really great baking! Hope someone tries the recipe!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups Kashi Good Friends cereal or 1 3⁄4 cups Kashi Golean cereal
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk or 3⁄4 cup rice milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray muffin tin cups with cooking spray and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cereal and milk and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the honey and egg whites and beat well.
- Stir in apple sauce and banana.
- Add flour mixture and mix only until dry ingredients are moistened, over mixing will produce rubbery muffins.
- Fill sprayed muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.