Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is what happens when you play "Round the world" and you are trying to find a recipe for Uganda... GROUNDNUT KASHATAS may be made by following the directions above but using roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped or whole, instead of coconut. Or you may wish to use half peanuts and half coconut for GROUNDNUT AND COCONUT KASHATAS. In Tanzania Kashatas are a great favorite in the market place and in Tanzanian homes they are served at tea time instead of cakes or cookies.
- In a medium-sized heavy iron skillet, melt the sugar, stirring constantly.
- Before the sugar starts to caramelize, add the coconut cream, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into a 12 x 9-inch pan, which has been lined with waxed paper.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares or diamonds while still hot.
- Cool until the Kashatas are set.