Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A pilaf-like side dish, or good by itself.
- 1 cup dried kasha
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 bouillon cube
- Heat a dutch oven pot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add sliced mushrooms and onions and saute until carmelized.
- Beat one egg in a bowl, add dried kasha and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a small skillet and add kasha/egg mixture.
- Stir until kasha kernels are seperated.
- Once seperated, add kasha to onion/mushroom mix with two cups of water and one boullion cube.
- Cover for about 10 mins and turn of heat.
Very good. Next time I think I'll use beef broth but other wise its great. Kids loved it and it doubled well. I left out the oil and cooked the mushrooms and onion in a little bit of broth (to stay true to my diet). Will make again.
Really delicious and easy to make. We love kasha and I'm always looking for something just as good as the usual kasha varnishka. I think this recipe is even better! I added some chopped celery to the onions and mushrooms and a little more water...maybe 1/4cup and then 1 cup of small pasta. Next time I might even add some chopped green pepper...Thanks for a great recipe!