1/1 Photo of Kasha Varnishkes - Jewish Buckwheat Groats With Noodles
What's Cooking?'s Note:
This is my family's recipe for an Eastern European Jewish favorite. This side dish is traditionally made with bowtie noodles. It is flavorful and addictively delicious. Definitely not for the carb-shy! I am gluten-free and sadly, there are no gluten-free bowtie noodles on the market. If you are gluten-free, Hoffner's GF egg noodles or Glutano brand tagliatelle (made of maize) work best. Buckwheat, by the way, is not related to wheat and is gluten-free (and tasty).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 egg
- 1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta (or other short, flat noodle) or 1 cup uncooked gluten-free egg noodles (or other short, flat noodle)
- 2 cups chicken stock, brought to a boil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons corn oil or 3 tablespoons chicken fat
- 1 1/2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 1Beat the egg in a small bowl. Add kasha and stir until every grain is well coated with egg. Place in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the egg begins to dry and the groats separate. Some of the groats may stick together and/or brown slightly.
- 2Pour boiling chicken stock over the kasha. Mix in salt and pepper and stir thoroughly. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the kasha has absorbed all liquid. Remove from heat.
- 3In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta until done. Drain and set aside.
- 4In a skillet, heat the oil (or schmaltz) on a medium flame. Saute the chopped onions until thoroughly browned. Add the onions and noodles to the pot of kasha, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kasha Varnishkes - Jewish Buckwheat Groats With Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.2
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 42.9 mg
- Sodium 520.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g