1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Kasha is another name for buckwheat groats, which are very healthy and full of nutrients. They have sort of a smokey flavor, which pairs very well with the tomatoes in this recipe to make a deep, satisfying soup. Recipe attributed to "Lean and Luscious" by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a stockpot or large saucpan over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, carrots, and celery.
- 3Sautee until onions are translucent and begining to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes, bay leaves, and water/stock.
- 5Bring boil, then reduce to low heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- 6Stir in kasha, cover, and cook 20 minutes more or until kasha is tender.
- 7Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kasha Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.8
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: