Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
Kasha is another name for buckwheat groats, which are very healthy and full of nutrients. They have sort of a smokey flavor, which pairs very well with the tomatoes in this recipe to make a deep, satisfying soup. Recipe attributed to "Lean and Luscious" by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder.
- Heat oil in a stockpot or large saucpan over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery.
- Sautee until onions are translucent and begining to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaves, and water/stock.
- Bring boil, then reduce to low heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Stir in kasha, cover, and cook 20 minutes more or until kasha is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.