Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe I've been making forever! Its VERY simple and healthy and it's good hot or cold! Don't be tempted to skip the step with the egg.
- 1 small egg
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fine grain roasted buckwheat groats (often packaged as "Kasha" in a box at the supermarket)
- 1⁄2 cup minced dried onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mushroom (button or whatever is in season!)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- Heat water, 2 tbs margarine, salt & pepper, onion, & veggies. Keep at a boil on med. high.
- Beat egg in a bowl.
- Add buckwheat to the egg and stir to coat evenly. (This step is absolutely necessary if you don't want buckwheat groats the consistency of oatmeal!).
- In a large skilet, add egg-coated buckwheat and cook on high for 3 min., stirring constantly, until egg is dried and buckwheat groats are separated.
- Reduce heat to low and quickly stir in the boiling liquid and veggies.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 5 minute.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tbs margarine and any additional spices you may want to add (I've used some garlic powder or Cajun spices, depending on my mood!).
- Eat now, or put in fridge to chill.
I made just this the other night, I doubled the amount and added 1 cup of finely diced carrots. We had it as a main course and loved it. I was going to post my own, but you beat me to it! I recommend this to people who think they don't like trying new things--it is really good.