Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A heritage recipe found online from The Inn on the Common Country Inn in Craftsbury Common, Vermont. A wonderful way to start your morning - creamy, fruity, and healthy, and an especially warm treat on a cold morning. The dried cranberries particularly lend a distinctive zing.
- 9 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried kasha (buckwheat groats)
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 eggs, beaten
- In large saucepan, combine milk, buckwheat groats, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and kosher salt.
- Bring to boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add butter and fruit.
- Gradually blend in the beaten eggs taking care not to'cook' eggs.
- Ladle into greased individual baking dishes or custard cups.
- Place in a water bath (can use deep baking pan filled with 2-3" hot water).
- Bake at 325F for 30-40 minutes until set or when a knife inserted near the edge of the cup comes out clean.