Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Vegetarian Express by Nava Atlas and Lillian Kayte.
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or homemade vegetable stock)
- 1 cup raw dried kasha, medium grind
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 medium carrots, grated in food processor
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons soy margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- Cook the orzo in a large pan of boiling water until just al dente (see package directions for cooking time); drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- In the meantime, bring the vegetable broth to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- While the orzo is cooking, mix the kasha and egg together in a mixing bowl; stir well to coat each grain.
- In a large nonstick skillet over high heat, cook the egg-coated kasha, stirring constantly and scraping it up from the bottom, until the kernels are dry and separated and give off a nutty toasted aroma.
- Slowly add the hot broth, stir well, and cover.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until the kasha is tender.
- Stir in the orzo, carrots, margarine, and thyme.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; cover and let stand off the heat for 3 minutes.
- Toss with the parsley and scallions; serve.