Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
"For an hour touch me not, for I will fall if handled hot." A delicious traditional cheesecake recipe from the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 2 cups Zwieback toast, crumbs crushed very finely
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (no substitutions)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ricotta cheese or 1 1⁄2 lbs cottage cheese
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup nutmeats, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix zwieback with 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and butter.
- Set aside 3/4 cups of this mixture to sprinkle over the top; press remainder into a 9" springform pan, lining bottom and sides.
- Beat eggs with remaining one cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, lemon juice, rind, cream or evaporated milk, cheese and flour; beat thoroughly and strain through a sieve.
- Pour into prepared springform pan, sprinkle with remaining crumbs and chopped nuts.
- Bake for about one hour or until center is set.
- Turn off the heat, open oven door and let stand in oven for one hour or until cooled.