Recipe by Bergy
If you wish make these larger for your main dinner meat dish or make them even smaller as a one bite appetizer - lovely spicy flavor. Be sure that you cook your brown rice long enough - probably 30 minutes. If folding the strips of phyllo is confusing to you look in any Greek cook book for "Tiropetes" Cheese Triangles and follow the folding instructions.
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
OK, there will be those who will feel that I should not rate because I changed the recipe, but the fact is, my family loved these, and I'm sure they would be equally (or more so) tasty following the original recipe. For the vegetarians in my tribe, I substituted a package of Yves Veggie Ground Chicken, and used cooked quinoa instead of brown rice to increase the protein. I made larger portions for main course servings using an icecream scoop to divide the mixture, getting 11 phyllo packages (I used an envelope fold). I baked at 375F until they were golden brown...and delicious. Many thanks for submitting this special recipe.
- 3⁄4 lb ground chicken or 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked (apprx 1/3 cup raw)
- 1⁄3 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered & toasted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (454 g) package phyllo pastry (or 18 sheets)
- 1⁄4 lb butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground chicken/turkey on a lightly oiled skillet, remove when browned.
- Brown the onions, turn heat down to medium.
- Add cooked rice, mix.
- Return the chicken to the pan& add the peas, then the almonds.
- Mix the honey& balsamic vinegar, stir well, add spices, stir again.
- Pour this over the chicken mixture, stir well cook 3 minutes longer and remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Remove 3 sheets of phyllo pastry and lay them flat with the narrow end toward you (cover the remaining Phyllo with a damp towel).
- Flip up 2 sheets of Phyllo and lightly paint the bottom layer with butter, flip the next sheet down and paint it with butter, then the remaining sheet and again paine it with butter.
- Cut the 3 layer sheet into 6 long strips (I use a cleaned edge of the phyllo box to keep the cuts straight).
- Put a generous tbsp of the chicken mixture on a corner of a strip nearest to you.
- Fold the corner with the filling on it up and to the right to form a small triangle, now continue to work your way up the strip by flipping and folding until you reach the top.
- Paint the outside lightly with butter and place on a cookie sheet.
- Continue until all the mixture and Phyllo are used.
- Bake at 350F for apprx 15-20 minutes turning them once during the baking.
- Serve Hot.
- Your other option is to freeze them unbaked.
- Place a single layer of"Bites" on a cookie sheet and freeze them, remove from cookie sheet and place them in single layers with plastic wrap between layers.
- Bake from frozen state 350F oven for 20 minutes, turning them once or until they are golden on both sides.