Recipe by Karyl Lee
This was a really good recipe (from Cabbage Town Cafe)I changed in terms of volume of carrots and flour, and that I removed the butter from. It's very moist, flavorful, and a favorite of long time customers.
- 3 cups grated shredded carrots (less one Tbsp)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped raisins
- 1 cup agave syrup or 1 cup maple syrup or 1 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup safflower oil or 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 4 cups spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon grade a cinnamon (if possible)
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces cream cheese (organic preferred)
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄3 cup pineapple jam
- 1 tablespoon grated carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the grated carrots, syrup, water, oil and raisins in a small pot, with all the spices and vanilla, until it has boiled and simmered for 5 minutes.
- Cool the mixture to approximately 85F (I use a water bath in the sink, with ice).
- While cooling the carrot mixture, sift the flour and soda and lightly oil one deep 10" pan, or 2 8" pans.
- Set the oven at 350F with the pan in the middle of the rack, or two pans separated but not touching the oven walls or each other.
- Bake the cake for appoximately 45 minutes, and check with a toothpick at 40 minutes, 30 minutes if using 2 pans.
- If not done in the center, turn off the oven and leave cake an additional 10 minutes with the oven off.
- Cool on a wire rack at least 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Soften cream cheese during cake's baking time.
- In food processor or blender or mixing bowl with hand mixer, whip the cream cheese with the fruit spread and the grated carrot.
- Chill until cool, frost cake.