Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from German Deli.com and they recommend using Schaller and Weber bacon, but any smoked bacon (not maple "flavor") will do. This salad can be served hot or cold.
- 5 lbs potatoes (baking potatoes are NOT recommended, as they are too flaky)
- 1⁄2 cup diced smoked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- Place unpeeled potatoes in cold salt water and bring to a boil.
- Boil gently until potatoes are tender, but still firm.
- Do not overcook.
- Pour off the boiling water and allow potatoes to cool until easy to handle.
- (The drained, unpeeled Potatoes can also be placed in a refrigerator overnight).
- Peel cooled potatoes, slice, then place in a large bowl.
- Slowly sauté the bacon in a skillet until the bacon pieces are crisp and golden brown.
- Do not burn the bacon and do not drain the fat in the skillet.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the sliced potatoes in the bowl.
- Add the green onions and the chives.
- Gently toss the potatoes so all ingredients are evenly blended.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.