1/1 Photo of Kartoffelkloesse (german Potato Dumplings)
Just what the name implies - these are German-style potato dumplings, as found everywhere in the South of Germany, Austria and Bohemia. These are traditionally served with any roast with gravy, but most well-known as an accompaniment for a hearty Sauerbraten and red cabbage. Like polenta, second-day leftovers are a treat when sliced into slabs and fried in butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or more)
- 1/8 cup cornstarch (or potato starch, much preferred, if you can get it)
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices white bread (good quality, not supermarket foam crap)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Trim crusts off bread and save them for another use.
- 2Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes and fry in butter and oil mixture until golden brown, transfer to paper towel to dry.
- 3Cook scrubbed, unpeeled potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 45 minutes.
- 5Cool slightly.
- 7Cut potatoes into large pieces.
- 8Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
- 9Mash potatoes with fork or run through ricer into large bowl.
- 10Mix in salt and nutmeg.
- 11Add 1/2 cup flour and cornstarch.
- 12Using hands, knead mixture in bowl until smooth dough forms, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is sticky.
- 13Mix in egg.
- 14Form dough into balls, using 1/4 cupful for each.
- 15Insert bread cube into center of each dumpling; roll dumpling between palms to enclose bread cube completely and form smooth balls.
- 16Working in batches, cook dumplings in large pot of nearly boiling salted water 10-15 minutes (or until dumplings rise to top).
- 17Using slotted spoon, transfer dumplings to large bowl.
- 18Keep covered with a damp kitchen towel as remaining dumplings are cooked.
- 19You should place no more than 4-5 dumplings in your pot at any one time in order to prevent them from sticking together or touching during cooking, which will cause them to fall apart.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kartoffelkloesse (german Potato Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.8
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 36.0 mg
- Sodium 710.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g