This vinegar based potato salad is very popular in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It is frequently served with Wiener Schnitzel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs potatoes (baking potatoes are NOT recommended, as they are too flaky)
- 1/2 cup diced smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar (mild vinegar such as white wine vinegar or herb vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1Place unpeeled potatoes in cold salt water and bring to a boil. Boil gently until potatoes are tender, but still firm. Do not overcook.
- 2Pour off the boiling water and allow potatoes to cool until easy to handle. (The drained, unpeeled Potatoes can also be placed in a refrigerator overnight.)
- 3Peel cooled potatoes, slice, then place in a large bowl.
- 4Slowly sauté the bacon in a skillet until the bacon pieces are crisp and golden brown. Do not drain the fat in the skillet.
- 5Remove the skillet from the heat and add the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the sliced potatoes in the bowl.
- 6Add the green onions and the chives. Gently toss the potatoes so all ingredients are evenly blended. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- 7This recipe is excellent served either cold or warm.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kartoffel Salat (German Potato Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.7
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 309.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g