Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This vinegar based potato salad is very popular in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It is frequently served with Wiener Schnitzel.
- 5 lbs potatoes (baking potatoes are NOT recommended, as they are too flaky)
- 1⁄2 cup diced smoked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar (mild vinegar such as white wine vinegar or herb vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- Place unpeeled potatoes in cold salt water and bring to a boil. Boil gently until potatoes are tender, but still firm. Do not overcook.
- Pour off the boiling water and allow potatoes to cool until easy to handle. (The drained, unpeeled Potatoes can also be placed in a refrigerator overnight.)
- Peel cooled potatoes, slice, then place in a large bowl.
- Slowly sauté the bacon in a skillet until the bacon pieces are crisp and golden brown. Do not drain the fat in the skillet.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the sliced potatoes in the bowl.
- Add the green onions and the chives. Gently toss the potatoes so all ingredients are evenly blended. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- This recipe is excellent served either cold or warm.