Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
A delicious side dish to many German and Pennsylvania Dutch dishes. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Preparation time approximate.
- Boil potatoes in their jackets until soft; remove skins and put potatoes through a ricer into a bowl and add salt, eggs, flour, 2/3 cup of bread crumbs and nutmeg.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Form mixture into dry balls about the size of walnuts (if mixture is too moist, add more bread crumbs).
- Drop the balls into boiling salted water.
- When balls come to the surface, allow to boil uncovered for three minutes.
- Remove one from liquid and cut open; if center is dry, they are sufficiently cooked.
- Remove balls from liquid to a hot platter and pour over them a dressing made as follows: brown butter in skillet, add bread crumbs and onion and cook for several minutes.