From "Baking Sourdough Bread" by Goran Soderin and Georgel Stachal. This book is very informative regarding sourdough baking. These rolls are slightly sweet - I have not made them yet and times are estimated. Rising time is not included below, but is about 1 1/2 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 2/3 cups milk, room temperature or 400 ml milk
- 7 ounces wheat sourdough starter or 200 g wheat sourdough starter
- 9 cups all-purpose flour or 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh yeast or 30 g fresh yeast
- 1 cup butter or 250 g butter
- 1 cup sugar or 200 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 tablespoon salt or 10 g salt
- 1 egg, for brushing
- 1Mix 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) of the milk with the sourdough, half of the flour and the yeast. Let rise for about 1 hour.
- 2Melt the butter and let it cool.
- 3Mix all the ingredients, except the whole egg, with the dougth. Knead until the dough is smooth.
- 4Shape the dough into 30 or so plain buns or crescents and place them on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until the buns have doubled.
- 5Brush the buns with the beaten egg and bake at 400 deg F (210 deg C) for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karlsbad Bread
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.4
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 181.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: