Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From "Baking Sourdough Bread" by Goran Soderin and Georgel Stachal. This book is very informative regarding sourdough baking. These rolls are slightly sweet - I have not made them yet and times are estimated. Rising time is not included below, but is about 1 1/2 hours.
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk, room temperature or 400 ml milk
- 7 ounces wheat sourdough starter or 200 g wheat sourdough starter
- 9 cups all-purpose flour or 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh yeast or 30 g fresh yeast
- 1 cup butter or 250 g butter
- 1 cup sugar or 200 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt or 10 g salt
- 1 egg, for brushing
- Mix 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) of the milk with the sourdough, half of the flour and the yeast. Let rise for about 1 hour.
- Melt the butter and let it cool.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the whole egg, with the dougth. Knead until the dough is smooth.
- Shape the dough into 30 or so plain buns or crescents and place them on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until the buns have doubled.
- Brush the buns with the beaten egg and bake at 400 deg F (210 deg C) for 10 minutes.