1/1 Photo of Karjalan Piirakka (Karelian Pie) With Egg Butter
1 hr 45 mins
This is very good served with Hapankaalikeitto (Finnish Sauerkraut Soup). This recipe calls for a rice filling, but other traditional fillings include mashed potatoes, meat, fish, and cheese. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1For the Filling:.
- 2In a saucepan combine the water and rice. Bring to a boil.
- 3Stir, cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the milk, cover, and continue cooking until the milk is completely absorbed and the rice is soft and creamy.
- 5Preheat oven to 450°F
- 6Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 7For the Pastry:
- 8In a medium-sized bowl, combine the water, salt, and rye and white flours to make a stiff dough.
- 9Shape the dough into a log and cut into 16 portions and shape each into a round.
- 10On a lightly floured board, roll out each round into a 6-inch circle.
- 11Spread about 3 tablespoons of filling evenly on each round.
- 12Fold two opposite edges of the pastry over the filling and crimp the edges of the dough toward the center to make an oval-shaped pastry, allowing about 1/2-inch of the crust to overlay the filling and leaving the center of the filling exposed.
- 13Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 14In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter and hot milk and brush on the pastries.
- 15Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, brushing once during baking, until the pastries are golden on the edges.
- 16Remove from the oven and brush again.
- 17For the Egg Butter:.
- 18In a small bowl, cream the butter. Stir in the eggs.
- 19Season with the white pepper and ground ginger, if desired.
- 20Yield: 1 cup.
- 21Cool the pastries and serve with the egg butter at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karjalan Piirakka (Karelian Pie) With Egg Butter
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.1
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.0 mg
- Sodium 270.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g