1/1 Photo of Karjalan Piirakka (Karelian Pie) With Egg Butter
1 hr 45 mins
This is very good served with Hapankaalikeitto (Finnish Sauerkraut Soup). This recipe calls for a rice filling, but other traditional fillings include mashed potatoes, meat, fish, and cheese. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1For the Filling:.
- 2In a saucepan combine the water and rice. Bring to a boil.
- 3Stir, cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the milk, cover, and continue cooking until the milk is completely absorbed and the rice is soft and creamy.
- 5Preheat oven to 450°F
- 6Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 7For the Pastry:
- 8In a medium-sized bowl, combine the water, salt, and rye and white flours to make a stiff dough.
- 9Shape the dough into a log and cut into 16 portions and shape each into a round.
- 10On a lightly floured board, roll out each round into a 6-inch circle.
- 11Spread about 3 tablespoons of filling evenly on each round.
- 12Fold two opposite edges of the pastry over the filling and crimp the edges of the dough toward the center to make an oval-shaped pastry, allowing about 1/2-inch of the crust to overlay the filling and leaving the center of the filling exposed.
- 13Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 14In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter and hot milk and brush on the pastries.
- 15Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, brushing once during baking, until the pastries are golden on the edges.
- 16Remove from the oven and brush again.
- 17For the Egg Butter:.
- 18In a small bowl, cream the butter. Stir in the eggs.
- 19Season with the white pepper and ground ginger, if desired.
- 20Yield: 1 cup.
- 21Cool the pastries and serve with the egg butter at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karjalan Piirakka (Karelian Pie) With Egg Butter
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.1
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.0 mg
- Sodium 270.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g