Recipe by Bergy
I have not made this cake but have posted it by request. I trust the cookbook that it came from. Traditional Greek dessert. Sounds very sweet for my taste
- 4 ounces butter, unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup berry sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 piece cinnamon bark (3-4")
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter& sugar until light& fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, beat well.
- Sift together the flour, Baking powder, cinnamon& salt.
- Beat egg whites stiff.
- Fold the flour into the butter/sugar then mix in about 1/3 of the egg whites.
- Fold in the groung walnuts and then fold in the last of the egg whites, use a metal spoon to blend mixture well, evenly and quickly.
- Spread in a buttered 9x12 cake pan and bake in 350f oven for 45 minutes or until cake is done.
- Meanwhile dissolve the sugar in the water over medium heat add cinnamon bark& lemon juice and bring to a boil, boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove bark, stir in the brandy& cool.
- Pour cold syrup over the hot cake and let the cake cool.
- Cut into squares or diamonds.
- Serve with whipped cream.