A sandwich designed for my wife, Karin. It is a bit expensive, but it is just wonderful. I recommend it on an Italian-style roll while my wife uses sliced stone ground whole wheat bread. It is a tasty sandwich with a nice glass of wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 freshly baked good quality Italian roll (substitute 2 slices stone ground whole wheat or uneseeded rye bread, preferably artisan made)
- 2 -6 ounces prosciutto ham, thinly sliced, but in whole pieces, not shredded, the amount depending on the size of the roll
- 4 -12 herbed sun-dried tomatoes, in olive oil (you may substitute an equivalent amount of julienned, if desired)
- 2 -6 ounces aged provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- herbed olive oil, from the sun-dried tomatoes, if desired (substitute a vintage extra-virgin olive, dried Sweet Basil and dried Greek Oregano)
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1Prepare the bread: If you are using an Italian roll, cut the roll about 3/4 of the way through lengthwise and lay the roll on a cutting board or plate with the cut surfaces up.
- 2If using bread, cut slices or select slices which are approximatly 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick from high quality whole wheat or unseeded rye loaves and arrange them on the cutting board.
- 3If desired, spread a small amount of olive oil from the jar of herbed Sun-dried Tomatoes, or spread the bread with a fine extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with dried sweet basil and oregano.
- 4Place slices of provalone cheese along the entire length of the roll or one slice of bread, slightly overlapping them and placing the edge of each slice flush with the edge of one side of the roll or the opposite edges of the slice of bread.
- 5Place slices of poscuitto across the roll, overlapping the proscuitto by at least 1/3 and placing the edge of each slice flush with the edge of one side of the roll or the opposite sides of the slice of bread.
- 6Cut one slice of prosciutto in half and place one half at each end of the roll.
- 7If desired, you can double the amount of prosciutto.
- 8Arrange sun-dried tomato halves along one side of the roll oron one skice of bread, then close the roll or arrange the second slice of bread on the sandwich.
- 9Cut the sandwich if desired and arrange on a servivg plate with a garnish such as a sprig of parsley, or a rolled fillet of anchovy with caper on a bit of lettuce, or a bit of lettuce with a dab of caponata, or a pickled cauliflower floret or asparagus tip.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karin's Italian Sandwich - Prosciutto Sun Dried Tomato Provolone
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.2
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 896.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 18.9 g