Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Karin is the food writer for the Augusta Chronicle. She shares quick and easy recipes like the following one for entree meatballs. This version is not as syrupy as most sweet and sour recipes. You can substitute 1-1/2 cups pineapple juice for the crushed pineapple, if you wish. You can also add sliced fresh carrots during the last several hours of cooking, if desired.
Top Review by tawnyarich8
it wasnt horrible but it was not that good. I make porcupine meatballs and the sweett and sour meatballs were similar but with less flavor and bits of pineapple that are not that appetizing (and i love pineapple!!!)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb frozen precooked meatballs (about 26 balls)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart or larger crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Stir once or twice during cooking.
- To serve as an entree, spoon over hot cooked white rice or egg noodles. Sauteed sugar snap or snow peas make a good side dish.