1/1 Photo of KARI-KARE (Meat and Vegetable Stew in Peanut Sauce)
2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs pork hocks or 2 1/2 lbs oxtails, cut into 2" lengths
- 1/2 lb stewing beef, to make a meatier dish (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup achute water (optional)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted powdered rice (optional) or 2 tablespoons toasted mochiko sweet rice flour (optional)
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 8 pieces
- 1Place hocks or oxtail pieces in a large pot.
- 2Add enough water to cover.
- 3Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- 4If using achute water, soak 1 tablespoon of achute seeds in water for 30 minutes.
- 5Squeeze seeds between your thumb and finger tips until the water turns red.
- 6Strain and set red water aside.
- 7OR Heat 2 tablespoons oil, saute achute seeds in oil until oil turns red, discard seeds.
- 8Use oil for sauteing rest of ingredients.
- 9Heat oil in a skillet and saute garlic and onions.
- 10Add cooked meat and 2 cups of the broth.
- 11(Save the rest of the broth for other uses.) Add salt and achute water.
- 12Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 13Stir in peanut butter and toasted rice powder, bring back to simmer cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- 14Add green beans and eggplant.
- 15Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 16Correct the seasonings.
- 17Serve with hot rice and bagoong, plain or sauteed.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for KARI-KARE (Meat and Vegetable Stew in Peanut Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.9
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 622.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: