1/3 Photos of Kari Ikan (malaysian Fish Curry)
if okras are not your thing replace them with green beans. Malaysian fish curry powder can be bought from Asian supermarkets. (note: i didn't strictly follow every step. adjust measurements to your own taste :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoons fish curry powder
- 3 tablespoons dried tamarind
- 560 ml water (2 1/4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 stalk curry leaf
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 500 g grouper (or trevally, black pomfret)
- 10 okra, stalk ends removed
- 2 green chilies, halved lengthwise
- 125 ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1process garlic and onion to a smooth paste in a spice blender, adding a little oil if needed to keep the mixture turning,set aside.
- 2mix curry powder with 4 tbsp water to form a paste,set aside.
- 3soak tamarind pulp in 500ml (2 cups) of water for 5 minutes, then squeeze and strain to obtain juiceset aside.
- 4heat oil in a wide saucepan,add mustard seeds, fenugreek, cumin and curry leaves. fry until mustard seeds start to pop (around 30 seconds)add the garlic onion paste, stir fry over low heat until mixture smells fragrant and starts to brown (about 5 minutes).
- 5add curry paste and cook over low heat until dry and oil starts to separate (8 to 10 minutes).add tamarind juice and bring to a boil.
- 6add fish and okras, tomatoes, chillies, coconut milk, salt. simmer gently about 10 minutes (or until fish and okras are cooked through).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kari Ikan (malaysian Fish Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.2
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 667.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fish curry powder