Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I grew up on this stuff. We had it for every holiday or family event. Most frog eye salads call for mini marshmallows. I don't like them because they get soggy and sticky. It is funny how many people have never heard of this salad, but once they have it, they are hooked. Since I can not find acini di pepe pasta here in California, I am forced to beg friends or family members to send it to me from out of state.
- 1 lb acini di pepe pasta (located with pasta)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple in juice, crushed (reserve juice)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice (reserve juice)
- 1 (20 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 pint Cool Whip
- Prepare acini de pepe as directed on box.
- In saucepan beat eggs with wire whisk until foamy.
- Stir in flour, salt, sugar and pineapple liquid.
- Cook over low heat until thick and bubbly.
- In large bowl combine acini de pepe with egg mixture and chill.
- Stir in pineapple, oranges and fruit cocktail (I like the kind with extra cherries).
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Cover and Chill thoroughly.