Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I originally found this on AllRecipes.com and modified it to meet with my family's preferences. My daughter, who is one of the fussiest people I know, even likes this (although she does manage to avoid getting any chunks of vegetables in her bowl). We like it hot, but you can cool the heat by using sweet sausage and not adding the dried chilis. If you can find them use the mini tortellini.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 (2 cup) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried chili
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefrozen cheese tortellini
- Remove sausage meat from casing and brown in large pot until crumbly; remove meat and reserve 1 T of drippings.
- With drippings, cook onion until tender, then add broth, water, carrots, tomatoes (with juice), basil, oregano, chilies, tomato paste and cooked sausage; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30- 45 minutes.
- Add zucchini, peppers, parsley, garlic and tortellini; simmer for another 30- 45 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parmesan sprinkled on top if desired.
Very good! I did have to change a few things, I completely forgot to buy zucchini. I put celery in instead and a can of kidney beans. It was excellent and I will definitely make it again.
Really fantastic!! Made my own tortellini to put in it, which was just great!! I used a little bit of hot sausage, but substituted the rest for a smokey kabana. This is a great alternative as my husband is not keen on spicy stuff. My husband is RAVING about it. he has smelled it cooking all day and was very grateful to finally be able to eat some. Best thing was there is plenty left over to freeze for another night. Thanks very much Karen1961. This is now in my monthly cooking!!
Can I give this more than 5 stars? This is one of the best soups we've ever tried! My husband and I loved it! I left out the peppers, zucchini and chilies, which probably gives it a totally different outcome, but we loved it anyway! My husband is already asking me to make it again!! Thanks for the great recipe!