Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
My Mom, Karen, brought these to a party at my house once and they were delicious. I'm not sure where she got the recipe from, but it's a keeper! She made it lower fat, but you can use regular fat ingredients. Enjoy!
- 1 cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup half fat mayonnaise (I use Hellmann's)
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 whole grain baguette, cut into 18 - 24 1/4-inch slices
- Combine all ingredients except for the baguette slices, until well blended. Spread cheese mixture evenly on one side of each baguette slice.
- Place slices, cheese side up, on a grill topper (a nonstick flat grate that has many holes). Grill, with lid down, over low heat on barbeque for 3 to 5 minutes, or until bread is is lightly toasted and cheese is melted.
- These can also be baked in the oven at 350F or broiled, until lightly browned.
We had an impromptu guest for dinner and was able to cobble enough ingredients together to make this wonderful appetizer. I had to make some substitutions for what I had on hand. I used 3 campari tomatoes, ciabatta, and cheddar cheese. I cut the ciabatta bread into small rectangles and baked them in a 375 degree oven to make them crunchy before adding the topping. I used 1 large garlic clove and it shone through! I only used about 2 tbsp of mayo and that seemed to work well. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
So easy and an utter delight! Much deliciousness! I added red pepper flakes and used fresh basil in place of dried because that's what I had. AMAZING!
I did half the recipe for me and DH. My son decided to take 2 slices. We all loved this appetizer. I used 1 garlic clove for half the recipe and it was perfect. I baked it in the oven but before to add the topping, I baked the slices a little bit cause I wanted them a little bit crispy. Thanks Nif :) Made for PAC Spring 2010