1/5 Photos of Karen's Swiss Steak (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Oven)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
This recipe can be prepared on the stove top, or in the oven or crock pot. I decided to post it since it is a bit different than the swiss steak recipes I have seen on here. Just wait until you smell this stuff cooking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- hot cooked noodles
- mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice
- 1Cut meat into 6 serving pieces.
- 2Combine flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and garlic powder.
- 3Put 2 T. of the flour mixture into the meat.
- 4Brown the meat in the shortening on both sides.
- 5Drain off excess fat.
- 6Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, Worcestershire sauce and cooking wine.
- 7Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 8Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 9Combine 1/4 water and the remaining flour mixture.
- 10Stir into tomato mixture until thick and bubbly.
- 11Pass with meat.
- 12Serve meat and sauce with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- 13Crock pot directions:.
- 14Prepare swiss steak as above except cut meat to fit your crock pot.
- 15After browning meat, transfer to crock pot.
- 16Stir remaining flour into pan drippings in the skillet.
- 17Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until thick and bubbly.
- 18Pour over meat in the crock pot.
- 19Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- 20Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- 21Oven directions:.
- 22Place meat in a baking dish.
- 23Cover with thickened drippings and veggies as above.
- 24Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- 25Serve with hot noodles or rice.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karen's Swiss Steak (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Oven)
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.1
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 440.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak