1/5 Photos of Karen's Swiss Steak (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Oven)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
This recipe can be prepared on the stove top, or in the oven or crock pot. I decided to post it since it is a bit different than the swiss steak recipes I have seen on here. Just wait until you smell this stuff cooking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- hot cooked noodles
- mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice
- 1Cut meat into 6 serving pieces.
- 2Combine flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and garlic powder.
- 3Put 2 T. of the flour mixture into the meat.
- 4Brown the meat in the shortening on both sides.
- 5Drain off excess fat.
- 6Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, Worcestershire sauce and cooking wine.
- 7Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 8Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 9Combine 1/4 water and the remaining flour mixture.
- 10Stir into tomato mixture until thick and bubbly.
- 11Pass with meat.
- 12Serve meat and sauce with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- 13Crock pot directions:.
- 14Prepare swiss steak as above except cut meat to fit your crock pot.
- 15After browning meat, transfer to crock pot.
- 16Stir remaining flour into pan drippings in the skillet.
- 17Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until thick and bubbly.
- 18Pour over meat in the crock pot.
- 19Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- 20Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- 21Oven directions:.
- 22Place meat in a baking dish.
- 23Cover with thickened drippings and veggies as above.
- 24Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- 25Serve with hot noodles or rice.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karen's Swiss Steak (Stove Top, Crock Pot or Oven)
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.1
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 440.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak