Cook1 hr 15 mins
This recipe can be prepared on the stove top, or in the oven or crock pot. I decided to post it since it is a bit different than the swiss steak recipes I have seen on here. Just wait until you smell this stuff cooking!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- hot cooked noodles
- mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice
- Cut meat into 6 serving pieces.
- Combine flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Put 2 T. of the flour mixture into the meat.
- Brown the meat in the shortening on both sides.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, Worcestershire sauce and cooking wine.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine 1/4 water and the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir into tomato mixture until thick and bubbly.
- Pass with meat.
- Serve meat and sauce with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- Crock pot directions:.
- Prepare swiss steak as above except cut meat to fit your crock pot.
- After browning meat, transfer to crock pot.
- Stir remaining flour into pan drippings in the skillet.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Pour over meat in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.
- Oven directions:.
- Place meat in a baking dish.
- Cover with thickened drippings and veggies as above.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Serve with hot noodles or rice.