Recipe by KtheKanuck
I never tasted or made clam sauce before, but my boyfriend loves spicy red clam linguine so I came up with this recipe. It was extremely tasty. He really really loved it and said it was as good, if not better, than any restaurant. This is a very simple recipe and very delicious. It has a lot of kick to it so if you don't like spicy leave out the chili pepper and cayenne. I personally used more pepper flakes and cayenne than this recipe has because we like it really spicy. I also can't emphasize how important it is to use fresh herbs if available. They really make a difference. I served this over linguine. This is the first recipe I have ever posted on this site, so I'm sentimental about it.
- 1 cup presidents choice splendido original magic Italian sauce (see note * below)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1 1⁄2 cloves garlic, if smaller size,use more if desired,but don't recommend using more than 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small basil leaves or 1 medium basil leaves, finely chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano or 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 (5 ounce) can baby clams, with juice,do not drain,the juice is part of the sauce
- 1⁄2 lb favourite pasta, cooked according to pakage directions.
Directions See How It's Made
- Note*: Probably only available in Canada, for ingredients see below; Make sure it is Original because there are different varieties; If you dont have access to Presidents Choice products use another similar brand or improvise with 1 cup of chopped canned tomatoes; Its really just crushed tomatoes with a bit of salt; Presidents Choice Splendido Original Magic Italian Sauce Ingredients: Tomatoes, salt, natural flavour, citric acid.
- Melt butter over medium heat with olive oil.
- When butter is melted and starting to sizzle add minced garlic.
- Sautee garlic for about 1-2 minutes being careful not to let garlic turn brown or burn.
- Reduce heat.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Turn up heat until gently boiling.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minute.
- Taste test.
- If not spicy enough add a little more chili pepper flakes and/or cayenne pepper to taste if you like it really spicy.
- Serve over favourite pasta cooked according to package directions.
- I recommend linguine.