1/10 Photos of Karen's Smooth French Milk Mussels
These mussels have the taste of anise from the tarragon,chervil and further complemented with Pernod Ricard. Yes! You can use Absinthe or any liquor that has an anise flavor like Ouzo or Sambuca. Milk in the title is not only because of the cream but when you add ice cold water to the Ricard ( a pastis) it turns to a milky color. This pastis my Husband fell in Love with when we visited Paris. Made as an appetizer serving 6-10 people, be sure to have lots of crisp French bread to dip into the sauce. If you prefer to serve as a meal pour over cooked pasta with a nice side of salad. Serve with a pastis, Ricard of course! Named after a very special goddess on zaar. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh French tarragon
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh chervil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup licorice-flavored liquor (We favor Pernod Ricard)
- 5 lbs fresh live mussels, cleaned (Costco has wonderful one that need hardly any cleaning)
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1Heat butter and oil in a very large pan over medium heat till bubbles stops. Add onions and saute for 3-5 minutes till translucent add garlic saute for 1 minute.
- 2Mix the herbs together and divide in half.
- 3Add wine, Pernod and 1/2 of the fresh herbs.
- 4Raise the heat up to high and place the mussels in toss, cover and cook for 2 1/2 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile have a even larger pan heating.
- 6After the mussels cooked for 2 1/2 minutes flip them into the hot pot and cook for 2 1/2 minutes more.
- 7Meanwhile place the other 1/2 of fresh herbs into a 1 cup measure with lemon zest, salt, pepper and flakes top with cream and stir.
- 8Toss into the mussel's the remove mussels, plating them.
- 9Cook sauce and reduce while plating the mussels.
- 10Pour sauce over mussels and garnish with fresh tarragon and lemon halves.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karen's Smooth French Milk Mussels
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.1
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 1128.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 46.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: