Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
My favorite Cheesecake served at recent family Christmas celebrations. My Niece, Karen, is the one who introduced us to this luscious dessert.
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Beat the butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and flour and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- With your hands, shape it into a ball and flatten it into a disc.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it until it's firm.
- Remove the sides from the springform pan (10 1/2" or 9 1/2") and press one third of the pastry evenly over the bottom.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in 400F oven for 6 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°F.
- Butter the sides of the springform pan and attach it to the bottom.
- Press the remaining pastry about two thirds up the sides.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Gradually add the sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel, salt and vanilla, beating constantly.
- Add eggs and yolks one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Scrape the bowl one or two more times.
- Add in the sour cream; the mixture will be thin.
- Pour it into the pastry-lined springform pan.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake it in the oven at 500F for 8 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 200F (don't open the oven!) and continue to bake it for 1 hour or until the center jiggles slightly.
- When finished cooking, shut off the open, prop the door open, and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for about 3 or 4 hours.
- Once it's finished cooling, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it several hours or overnight.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Now you can add whatever glaze, ganache, or other spread you desire over the top of the cheesecake.
- Keep it refrigerated until serving time!