Prep 8 mins
Cook 30 mins
You won't be missing a thing with these delicious and much more nutritious than most bars. WARNING: They are very filling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 ounces chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray. If using a metal pan, line with foil first and spray with pam (this helps to lift them from the pan).
- In a large bowl, stir together oats & flour. Mix well. Stir in the egg, applesauce, peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, and oil. Lastly add the sunflower seeds and chocolate chips. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it is light brown along the edges and firm to the touch. Let cool. Cut into bars and enjoy. These store well in the refrigerator.
Very easy to make, and yes - filling! I didn't have sunflower seeds, so I used pumpkin seeds. I also substituted a scoop of whey protein powder for an equal amount of flour. I cooked them in a 9x9 dish, and it took 33 minutes to cook. Thank you for sharing!
I couldn't use applesauce (feeding someone allergic to apples), so I substituted extra oil and honey. It turned out quite dry, but I had mine with applesauce on it and it was delicious. As soon as I find an applesauce substitute that makes the bars moister I'm going to make this a lot more often.