Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was a friend's recipe that I modified so much I now call it my own. It is great on chilly days, but we have it in the summer also. You can make it as hot as you like, but with 4 kids, I have to keep it on the mild side. With a nice warm loaf of home baked bread, it is a hearty meal.
- 2 lbs ground beef (or combination) or 2 lbs turkey (or combination)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped fine or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 3 -4 large chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper (I start out with a few shakes) or crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (I start out with a few shakes)
- sharp cheddar cheese (optional) or Mexican blend cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese, shredded (optional)
- chopped raw onion (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Brown meat over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven and drain grease.
- Add Onion and Garlic and when transparent, add Chili Powder.
- Cook about 5 minutes and then add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency.
- Serve with cheese, onions and sour cream for toppings if desired.
Ya got a great little chili dish here, Karen! I used ground beef, great northern's, kidney's, and a few left-over chili beans. Made a tasty concoction!! Nice and easy to put together, then, let simmer till ready. We sure enjoyed. Thanks for sharing... Laudee
Excellent chili! Dh made a real pig of himself. Simmering it made all the difference between this and ho-hum chili. When I cleaned up after dinner, I noticed Dh's spoon hadn't been used. I asked him what he ate his chili with. "My fork," was his answer. Apparently he used the corn muffins to soak up the sauce. Thanks for a contented Dh.
This chili just hits the spot on a cold January evening! I made exactly per Karen's perfect instructions, using cannellini beans, kidney beans and crushed red pepper. The shredded sharp cheddar, green onion and sour cream toppings make this chili over the top! Thanks so much, Karen!