Recipe by islandgirl77551
This is a yummy pineapple cake roll that my mom used to make for parties and get togethers. It looks pretty too.
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple
- 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄16 teaspoon clove
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (garnish)
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple and reserve 3/4 cup of juice and 1/2 cup pineapple for topping.
- In a med. mixing bowl combine remaining pineapple,brown sugar,coconut,nuts,1 tsp.vanilla,cinnamon,ginger and cloves and mix well.
- Spread in the bottom of a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan and set aside.
- In a med. mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry and set aside.
- In a lg. mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 vanilla.
- Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture.
- Spread cake batter evenly over pineappple mixture in pan.
- Bake in oven preheated to 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Loosen cake around edges and invert on flour sack towel sprinkled with powdered sugar and let stand 3-4 minutes.
- Roll in jelly roll fashion and let cool.
- Garnish with pineapple topping.
- Pineapple topping:.
- In small sauce pan, combine pineapple juice with sugar and cornstarch and mix well.
- Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly, until clear and thickened.
- Remove for heat,stir in pineapple and cool.
- Spread on top of cake roll and sprinkle with coconut.