Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Oooey gooey SINFULLY good Cinnamon Rolls! I get asked to make these and asked for the recipe ALL the time!!! They are fabulous! I hope you enjoy! I usually bake with butter in most dessert recipes but this recipe margarine makes all the difference. Cooking times includes time for rising.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk, warm 105-110
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE ROLLS:.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm milk with 1 tsp of sugar. Allow to proof (sit) for 10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the margarine, sugar, salt and eggs until combined.
- Add 2 cups of flour and the yeast.
- Continue mixing and adding flour until you have use 4 cups total of flour.
- Roll out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5-10 minutes until smooth and no longer sticky. (You may need to add more flour).
- Put into a lightly greased bowl turning once to coat the dough.
- Cover with a clean towel and place into a warm draft free place and allow to rise for an hour.
- Punch dough down and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle 21 x 16 inches.
- FILLING: Spread the softened margarine over the surface of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges.
- Blend brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle evenly over the margarine.
- Roll the dough jellyroll style starting at the 21-inch edge.
- Pinch the ends together.
- Grease a 15 x 10-inch pan lightly.
- Slice the dough into 1 1/2-inch pieces and place cut side up in the pan.
- Cover with a clean towel and put in warm draft free spot for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake rolls for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- FROSTING: Mix all frosting ingredients until light and fluffy and spread over warm rolls.
Fabulous! I used butter as I don't buy margarine, but oh my, these are good! Compliments ranged from fantastic, awesome, absolutely incredible, to die for, well, you get the point. I have NEVER been able to make a decent icing for cinnamon buns, but after using your recipe? Let's just say you made me look SO good, lol. Thank you! Edited 4/3/10 I've made these more times than I can count now, and I agree, they ARE better with margarine. The texture of the bread is so much softer. Thanks again for posting!
Everytime I try this recipe, the cinnamon rolls come out PERFECT! Wonderful fluffy dough, a rich swirl of cinnamon in the middle, and a creamy cool frosting to top it off. The only thing I do differently is roll from the other side so I have lots of bite sized cinnamon rolls :)
Thank you SO much for sharing!
these were phenomenal they were literally the best cinnamon rolls that i've ever had or made. The dough was really easy to work with and it came out super soft and delicious. This recipe is most def a keeper