Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A very healthy and extremely satisfying chicken soup. After always making my chicken soup in a traditional jewish style, I spent a week with my friend Karen G. in FL and learned her way to make it. For Passover I will make it the traditional way, but for once a month-this will be my new way! My kids, husband and mom love it!
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 1 chicken carcasses or 1 turkey carcass
- 2 chicken parts or 2 large chicken breasts or 2 rock cornish game hens
- 2 celery hearts
- 2 onions
- 4 carrots
- 1 green zucchini (optional)
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 bunch kale
- Put all this in the large pot in no special order except the broth and meat first. Chop all veggies finely, cube the squash. Cut kale into 2" squares.
- Add additional water to cover the ingredients in the pot. Boil and then simmer for 2-4 hours, add salt pepper and bouillon cubes to taste. Pull out all meat, skin and bones, chop all meat and put back in pot. Heat and serve!
- In addition you can serve this over noodles or throw barley in during the cooking process!