Recipe by Cooking Flail
This is one of my favorite comfort foods, and a Thanksgiving staple. Luckily it is also simple enough to cook any time. My best friend first made it with chicken, to delicious results. It was originally a vegetarian recipe created by my mother, made to go with Worthington "Chic-ketts." It will also work with Worthington "Tender Bits" or other soy chicken products.
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces. Approx 1lb of meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cooked rice, jasmine rice works well
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large pan, brown onion, celery, mushrooms, and chicken in the butter.
- Remove from heat and add all other ingredients except paprika, mix well.
- Place in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. May seem a bit watery, this will go away after it's baked.
- Top with paprika, to taste. I do a solid coating so the top is entirely red.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Top should be slightly browned and casserole a bit bubbly.