Cooking Flail's Note:
This is one of my favorite comfort foods, and a Thanksgiving staple. Luckily it is also simple enough to cook any time. My best friend first made it with chicken, to delicious results. It was originally a vegetarian recipe created by my mother, made to go with Worthington "Chic-ketts." It will also work with Worthington "Tender Bits" or other soy chicken products.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces. Approx 1lb of meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cooked rice, jasmine rice works well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In large pan, brown onion, celery, mushrooms, and chicken in the butter.
- 3Remove from heat and add all other ingredients except paprika, mix well.
- 4Place in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. May seem a bit watery, this will go away after it's baked.
- 5Top with paprika, to taste. I do a solid coating so the top is entirely red.
- 6Bake for 35-40 minutes. Top should be slightly browned and casserole a bit bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karen's Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.3
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Sodium 691.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts