Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the Chili Verde champion Karen Ray's recipe. The key is to season as you go so the flavor doesn't die out as the chili cooks.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons green chili powder
- 1 (19 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 32 ounces canned tomatillos, with their liquid
- 1 (7 ounce) canhot salsa verde
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork sirloin roast, cubed
- lard or oil, as needed,to brown
- 2 cups finely minced onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pressed fresh garlic
- 2 lbs diced green chilies, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups very finely minced mixed fresh green peppers
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaf
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, cumin, and chile powder.
- In a chili pot, combine enchilada sauce, tomatillos, and salsa verde.
- Press tomatillos against the side of the pot to crush.
- Add the oregano mixture to the liquids.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently.
- Brown the meat in lard or oil in batches with onions and pressed garlic.
- Drain meat and add to chili pot.
- Add diced green chiles.
- Return pot to simmer.
- After 2 hours, add half of finely minced green peppers.
- Add salt, as desired.
- Taste and adjust, adding additional minced peppers as desired.
- After 2 1/2 hours thicken or thin, as needed.
- After 2 3/4 hours, adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.
- Just before serving, add lime juice and cilantro.