Recipe by Jan in Lanark
From a well known Canadian chef. These are a little lighter than normal mashed potatoes, and full of flavour.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes (about 4) or 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (about 4)
- sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place in a deep pot and add 2 cups chicken stock . If needed, add cold water to cover potatoes.
- Bring to boil and add salt. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well, reserving about 2/3 cup of the stock.
- Press the potatoes through a ricer back into the pot. If you don't have a ricer, return potatoes to the pot and mash by hand until smooth.
- With a wooden spoon, slowly beat in the olive oil. Add the reserved stock,a little at a time, until the potatoes are light and fluffy. You may not need all the stock.
- Stir in the butter and garlic and adjust the seasoning if needed.