Recipe by Amis
My mother loves cardamom and has had this recipe for several years. She doesn't remember where she got it but she's finally passed it on. Yay! Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup butter (1/2 pound, 2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and lightly flour a 9x9 square cake pan. Shake out any excess flour.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- Sift sugar, set aside.
- Crush cardamom seeds (use a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin).
- If using pods, remove the white hull pieces.
- Heat milk to lukewarm (in microwave, heat in a microwave safe cup or bowl at 70% power for about 45 seconds). Set milk aside.
- Melt butter (in microwave, heat at 70% power for about 1 minutes, then stir until completely melted). Set melted butter aside.
- Beat egg until fluffy.
- Blend in sifted sugar.
- Add crushed cardamom seeds.
- Alternate adding lukewarm milk and the flour mixture, blending well.
- Add melted butter and beat batter until well blended.
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Mix together the allspice and sugar.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of the cake in the pan.
- Sprinkle chopped or sliced almonds on top, pressing them into the batter very lightly.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before cutting.
- Tip: this recipe doubles well, making 2 9x9 cakes. Freeze one, then warm it up for later use.