Prep 6 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional Russian bread served in restaurants, much as ours serve Italian breads. Russians measure ingredients for breads by weights, so this recipe may look a little different than you are used to but it works out well.
- Dissolve yeast in a cup of warm milk, add half of flour and blend carefully.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of flour and leave in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- When the leaven doubles the size, add eggs beaten with salt, sugar and milk and stir in the rest of flour thoroughly.
- Then pour in melted butter. Knead carefully.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover with clean towel and let rise in warm place until dough has doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down and let double in bulk again.
- Knead the dough and divide into parts 300-400 g.
- Shape small oblong balls and decorate with leaves and flowers.
- Bake in a well preheated oven on average heat (325) until temp reads 190°F.